Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Negril Trip, September/October 2009

I was suffering mightily as my last trip to Jamaica was in late November 2008, ten long months of missing the island and her people. The time had been especially trying for me as I had lost my long-time editor job, and then a different staff job fell though, leaving me on unemployment with only a small chunk of change. The good news was that I got this trip at bargain basement prices before my finances fell through the floor. Using a promotional code on Orbitz and buying at right time, I got a trip for under $500 that included roundtrip airfare and hotel accommodations for 8 nights at a resort that I had stayed at before, Samsara


The trip to Negril went smoothly--the airport was near empty on both ends, there were no long lines and no flight delays. Air Jamaica direct to Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay (MoBay) from JFK in New York. For airport transfer to Negril, I rode with Juta and chose the group transfer instead of private as it cost much less. There were only had two other people in the car, so I requested that the driver stop at Biggas Jerk stand in Green Island so I could get some soup and jerk chicken--I told Bigga how famous on the internet he was. He has got some of the best soup and jerk to be found, a mouthwatering treat that sings with island spices and goodness. He is right on the main road that takes you from MoBay to Negril and is a great introduction to the Jamaican culinary delights to come.

Road from Mobay
Upload


I was dropped off at Samsara where I was led to a Gardenside room--it was a little octagonal cottage with windows on all sides--no AC--ceiling fan only. I liked the garden vibe, chickens and roosters were wandering around the yard and it was very quiet, I was the only one in the row of cottages. There was a nice hammock on the porch and the gardeners promptly became good friends of mine as they went back and forth with a wheel barrow carting dead branches to a pile at the back of the property. My bed was huge but rock hard. The Caribbean Sea access was across the road on the cliff side of the property. Getting across the road freaked me out--there is a blind corner there and I was ultra cautious when stepping out on that pavement. I mostly let the "crossing guard" tell me when to go. 



The first couple of days I lounged on the cliffs soaking up the sun, ate at Choices, a great little restaurant across from the resort, bought snacks at L and M, jumped off the cliffs into the sea, swam and did little else.


Samsara was relaxing and as it was low season and travel numbers were affected by the recession, there not much action. It was just what the doctor ordered.


Samsara
Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your trip. I know more about Jamaica: the food, sights, and possible happenings. An interesting flavor. Your pictures are great

    ReplyDelete