Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Going to the beach, day Five

After a few days cliff side, I took the free shuttle down to the beach at 10 am. It drops off at Legends which is Samsara's sister resort on Negril's stunning 7 mile beach. Legends has a ridiculously small and packed beach area. The loungers are lined up like sardines. I moved one a little ways away and crossed the line that marks the edge of their beach by about 4 inches. The security guard yelled at me from across the beach--gesturing to me to move the chair back within bounds. I moved it the requisite 4 inches in. It took me a minute to figure out what he was yelling and gesturing about--I think it was a bit unfriendly that he didn't try to actually walk over to me to explain what the fuss was about--he remained firmly planted in his seat in the shade on the other side of the beach. I decided to wander off for some late breakfast and landed at Kuyaba and ordered up a fantastic cup of Blue Mountain coffee and a callaloo and cheese omlette. The breakfast rocked. I was the only one eating there.
Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload


I hung at Legends and swam after breakfast for a while when I heard the fruit lady yelling "FRRRUUUIITT!"I heard it when I was way out in the sea and swam back in and flagged her down. The fruit lady is a well know icon in the parade of Jamaicans that walk the beach selling goods. She carries a huge basket of fruit on her head and her call-out is unmistakeable. I bought soursop, avocado, an orange and some kind of plum that she peeled for me with her knife. I stored the fruit under my chair in the shade to bring back with me to Samsara--except the plum which was so juicy sweet and sour all at once. 

Then this tour guy with a book of photos and testimonials from his trips came by and beckoned to me. I knew I wasn't going to do any tours this trip but was ready for a walk anyhow so I got up and wandered down the beach with him and chatted with him about his business and this and that. He was friendly and not pushy and didn't care that I wasn't going to do tours. He kept me company all the way down to Couples Swept Away which is a good several miles from Legends. Maybe that is why I didn't get bothered by any higglers, hustlers or gigolos--since he was walking with me. And also I do believe most people recognize me from past trips and know I am not much of a $$ prospect. Even when I walked the beach by myself I wasn't bothered by any hard sells and never once was bothered wandering around the west end of Negril where Samsara is located.


Some beach shots, one of my tour friend and another shot of Kuyaba
Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload


No comments:

Post a Comment